IMSCC’s Summer Music Workshops are here!
We have a variety of IMSCC Summer Music Workshops – we hope you’ll join us!
Interested in learning how to play the Ukulele? Or perhaps you have some experience with the instrument and would like to hone your skills. The Ukulele is a 4-string, guitar-like instrument native to Hawaii, that is small enough to bring just about anywhere. It can be heard on recordings of musical styles ranging traditional Hawaiian music to rock/pop. Bring your own instrument and come learn chords, strumming techniques, and songs on the Ukulele!
- Section A: 4 Wed, Jun 26 – Jul 24, 6:15-7:15 pm, For students entering grades 5-8, Fee: $99
- Section B: 4 Wed, Jun 26 – Jul 24, 7:15-8:15 pm, For students entering grades 9 & up, Fee: $99
Learn to play the guitar! Have you always wanted to learn to play the guitar? Or do you already have a little experience, but would like to hone your skills? Come and join our class! Learn the fundamentals, chords, picking, and strumming patterns that will start you on the path to learning your favorite songs.
- Section A: 4 Wed, Jul 31 – Aug 21, 6:15-7:15 pm, For students entering grades 5-8, Fee: $99
- Section B: 4 Wed, Jul 31 – Aug 21, 7:15-8:15 pm, For students entering grades 9 & up, Fee: $99
Play in a rock band! Learn new songs and have fun playing with your fellow students. Students will have the opportunity to play their favorite songs in a group setting, while learning what it takes to create a “tight sounding” band. Once registrations are received, we’ll form bands based on instrument and experience level.
- 4 Wed, Jul 10 – 31, 5-6 pm, Fee: $99
The 11th annual Concord-Carlisle Summer Trombone Choir is open to students ages 11 and up. Honorary trombones (tubas, euphoniums, and baritones) are welcome. The repertoire will feature classic and contemporary works arranged for large low brass ensemble and the program will culminate with a mini-concert on July 30. Previous performances have been recorded and broadcast on Minute Man Network (MMN formerly CCTV) and have included up to 30 players of all ages. This year’s performance will feature music from the world of opera.
- 8 Mon & Tues, Jul 8 – 30, Fee: $175
- Entering grades 6-8: 6:00-7:00 pm
- All players: 7:00-7:30 pm
- Entering grades 9 & up: 7:30-9:00 pm
This workshop is open participants with at least one year of experience. Participate in small trumpet ensembles, varying in size from 3-8 performers, and a larger trumpet choir. We will also engage in interactive learning about jazz, the different types of trumpets, and warm-up ideas. If you’re interested in performing a solo, you will have an opportunity to perform in a masterclass setting. Please join us!
- Mon through Thurs, Jul 8 – 11, Final Concert: Jul 12 at 12:00 pm Fee: $149
- Entering grades 5-8: 5:00-6:00 pm
- All Students: 6:00-7:00 pm
- Entering grades 9 & up: 7:00-8:00 pm
Join us for a beginning to intermediate bassoon reed making course. Whether it’s your first
time or you are looking to solidify your technique, this class is open to all. Students must
provide own tools and cane. A list will be provided with details for purchasing. Some tools
are bassoon specific while others can be sourced cheaply at your local hardware store. A
detailed breakdown of what we will do each day is online.
- Mon through Fri, Jul 29-Aug 2, 12:30-2:30 pm, Fee: $175
A review of reed making basics with more time spent on learning the intricate details of the finishing process. There will also be an opportunity to explore the earlier stages of reed making including tube splitting, gouging, profiling, and shaping cane. This class is for students who have prior reed making experience. Students must provide own basic tools and cane. A list will be provided and include details for purchasing. A detailed breakdown of what we will do each day is online.
- Mon through Fri, Jul 29-Aug 2, 1:30-3:30 pm, Fee: $175
Beginner Concert Band* is for students with 1-2 years of experience in a school ensemble (i.e. students completing their 1st or 2nd year of band at the end of this school year).
Intermediate Concert Band* is for students with 3 or more years of experience on their instrument in a school ensemble, through to students entering their sophomore year of high school. Some exceptions may be made for exceptional 2nd year musicians.
*Please note: The different levels of Concert Band are subject to enrollment.
Jazz Workshop is for students interested in performing jazz music and building improvisation skills. Students should have at least 2 years of experience.
- Tues through Thurs, Jul 16-18, Fee: $89**
**$79 per student for two siblings; $75 per student for three siblings
- Tues & Wed: 6:00-7:30 pm Concert Band(s), 7:30-8:30 pm Jazz Workshop
- Thur: 6:00-7:00 pm Dress rehearsal for everyone, 7:30-8:30 pm Performance
Small Instrumental Ensembles (Chamber Music)
Try something new – join a small group ensemble this summer! Playing chamber music is an exciting way for young musicians to expand their musical skills. Students learn to play with one another without a conductor, by listening and interacting with other musicians in the ensemble. Improve your listening skills, reading skills and develop better intonation while experiencing the joy of making music with others!
We welcome all students with a minimum of two years of experience. We will form ensembles based on experience and skill level. Each ensemble will meet for six one-hour sessions with an instructor and we will finish up the course with a grand finale concert featuring all of our different ensembles.
- Clarinet Ensemble with Lou Stamas – Intermediate & Advanced: The clarinet ensemble will rehearse pieces for two, three, or four clarinets – bass clarinets welcome! Repertoire will be selected in accordance with the size of the group and level of the musicians who register. Mr. Stamas plans to include classical, jazz, and popular music and to make it interesting, challenging, and FUN for everyone!
- Flute Ensemble with Tobi-Ann Kocher – Intermediate & Advanced: Listen up all flutists! Did you know there are other members of the flute family? Tobi-Ann is offering a unique opportunity to introduce you to the piccolo, alto and bass flutes in two different levels of flute choirs this summer. Repertoire will be chosen based on the level of the group.
- Mixed Winds with Rachel Juszczak – Intermediate & Advanced: Learn how to collaborate with others and strengthen your playing through chamber music. This course uses a combination of instructor-led coachings, studio masterclasses, and independent group practice sessions in two different levels of mixed wind ensembles.
- Saxophone Ensemble with Lou Stamas – Intermediate & Advanced: The saxophone ensemble will rehearse pieces for two, three, or four saxophones – all sizes welcome! The repertoire will be selected in accordance with the size of the group and level of the musicians who register. Mr. Stamas plans to include classical, jazz, and popular music and to make it interesting, challenging, and FUN for everyone!
- String Ensemble with Sargis Karapetyan – Intermediate & Advanced: Students interested in participating in the string ensembles will gain experience playing in duo, trio, quartet and quintet groups with only strings or a combination of string/woodwind instruments. A great amount of experience is gained from playing in small groups and these groups will help students grow their musical talents. The goal is to teach students the skills necessary to work together and to communicate musically. Playing in small groups is more dynamic than playing a solo instrument and playing in an orchestra. Rather than take direction from a conductor, musicians in a chamber group are all individual leaders who will learn to apply their own expression to their performance.
- Mon, Wed & Thur, Jul 22-Aug 1, 5-8 pm, Fee: $249**
*Your exact meeting times will be finalized as we form our ensembles.
**Register by July 1st to qualify for our early bird pricing. Fee is $275 after July 1st.
Comments are closed.