About Driver Education
- Register for classes: View student classes or parent sessions online and register now.
- Driving lessons: Click here to sign up for driving lessons
Driver education promotes and teaches safe driving attitudes, defensive driving skills, and respect for the rules of the road. It prepares students for the Registry of Motor Vehicles license exam; and it strives to prevent or reduce accidents and fatalities that involve young drivers.
- 15 years, 9 months or older on the first day of class: Students can begin classroom instruction
- 16 years: Legal age to operate with a Learner’s Permit.
- 16 1/2 years: Legal age to be licensed with a Driver Education Certificate (or once you have had your license for 6 months).
- 18 years: Legal age (to the day) to be licensed without a Driver Education Certificate.
Driver Education with Concord-Carlisle Adult & Community Education includes:
- 30 classroom hours
- 12 hours of behind-the-wheel instruction
- 6 hours of on-the-road observation (See Covid-19 procedures page for current changes)
- 2 hour parent/guardian class, attended by at least one parent (certificate valid for 5 years)
- Online scheduling for driving lessons
- $15 RMV fee for certification
Completing Driver Education
Parents must attend the RMV-mandated Parent Class before their child will be allowed to participate in driving lessons with an instructor, per an RMV regulation in effect May 1, 2019. We will cover your responsibilities, your child’s responsibilities, as we will review our program’s policies. Also, you will hear tips and hints on how to teach a new driver and a review of laws that have changed in the last 10-20 years.
Parents/guardians are responsible for an additional 40+ hours of on-the-road practice, as mandated by the RMV.
Once all of the classroom, behind-the-wheel, observation hours, and the parent class are completed, we send a request for certification to the RMV.
Timeline to becoming a licensed driver
We recommend that you complete the program within one year. The RMV requires you to complete the program within two years from the date you started.
You must have your permit for a minimum of 6 months so there is no reason to rush through lessons! We recommend spacing out your 12 driving hours with us so you finish about a month before that 6 month eligibility. This allows us time to send your certificate to the RMV, allowing you to schedule your road test once you reach that 6 month date.