You must complete:
- 12 hours of behind-the-wheel instruction
- 6 hours of observation (See Covid-19 procedures page for current changes)
Once you have completed at least Module 1 of the classroom portion, a parent/guardian has completed the parent class, and you have your learner’s permit, you can start lessons.
The first 6 lessons should consist of 1 hour of driving and 1 hour of observation. The remaining 6 hours of behind-the-wheel instruction can be arranged in 1- or 2-hour sessions.
Remember: You must have your permit for a minimum of 6 months so there is no reason to rush through lessons! We recommend spacing out your 12 driving hours with us so you finish about a month before that 6 month eligibility.
Making a driving appointment
Visit Schedule2Drive to sign up for appointments. You will sign in with your permit number and date of birth.
We recommend that you have no more than 2 pending appointments scheduled at a time. Lessons are every 3rd day at most, so that you and a parent or other adult can practice the skills covered in the lessons.
Remember: You must have your permit for a minimum of 6 months so there is no reason to rush through lessons! We recommend spacing out your 12 driving hours with us so you finish about a month before that 6 month eligibility. This allows us time to send your certificate to the RMV, allowing you to schedule your road test once you reach that 6 month date.
Requirements for lessons
All lessons begin and end at CCHS, at the curb by the Dining Commons. We offer appointments during the day, after school, evenings and on weekends.
- You must wear proper footwear for driving. Shoes with high heels or open heels such as flip-flops or clogs are not permitted.
- Please be prompt! The instructor will wait 10 minutes after the appointed time. After that time, you will be considered a “no-show” and will be charged.
- You must have your Learner’s Permit with you. Per RMV regulations, you are not permitted to drive with a photocopy or picture.
- If the permit indicates corrective eyewear is required, you must have this with you.
- The missed lesson/late cancellation fee is $52 per hour weekdays, $62.50 weekends/holidays.
- The school reserves the right to cancel a driving lesson. In such a case, the students will not be charged. If there is inclement weather, the parents, student, and teacher will consult and decide if a lesson is unwise. If school is canceled, driving lessons are also canceled.
- When you are observing, you are paying attention to what is happening.
- Per RMV regulation, you must have your Learner’s Permit with you for Observation hours as well.
- No sleeping, texting, phone calls, homework or headphones.
Driving Appointment Cancellation Policy
If, for any reason, you are unable to make a driving appointment, you may contact another student to substitute. If you must cancel, cancellation must be before 1 PM the weekday before the driving or, in the case of weekend or Monday appointments, 1 PM Friday. Failure to cancel on time results in a fee of $52 ($62.50) per hour with both drivers charged.
**When you cancel a lesson less than 24 hours before it was scheduled to start through Schedule2Drive, an alert is sent to all students about a last-minute opening. No matter how late it is, we highly recommend you try this – you might get lucky and have someone take your open spot!